Composition in Two Genres

I have chosen two completely different genres to communicate to the audience. The first genre I chose is the social media. I chose social media because it is one of the biggest platforms to get information. It is also the most accessible place to share your point of view and spread your voice. I’ve also decided to make a Newspaper article because I thought it would be interesting to choose a genre which is completely different from one another but use both to communicate with the same audience in two different ways. I want to use the Newspaper article to provide statistics, facts, causes, and effects of club drugs. However, creating a meme was an interesting and creative way to make a point.   I wanted to reach my audience in two different ways, one with a more serious side of the story and the other one more comic but thoughtful way.

The first genre is social media and in particular, I chose to send a message through a meme. I’ve decided to do that because memes are very common and though some of them can be very pointless there are many that contain interesting ideas. I like memes because they are very direct and get right through the point. Most importantly memes are very accessible for anyone to understand the meaning behind them.

With this meme, I wanted to show that there are always two sides to any story. Drugs could have negative effects while at the same time many claims that drugs help expand creative minds and thought processes. My audience is the group of people who make decisions on legalization and control of drug use. It is also directed towards the general public who only sees black or white when it comes to drugs; the purpose is to give them more knowledge about the subject and raise awareness.

The second genre is a newspaper. I wanted to make a newspaper article to provide general information about drugs and their problems. To show a different side from the first genre, a different approach, and a different platform.

“http://prezi.com/awgxehjt1s5w/

I believe this topic is very important to millions of people around the world. Unfortunately, many people struggle with drug addiction and it has also taken many lives. This work could be very helpful to the audience I’m trying to reach because there aren’t many people who have knowledge about drugs and many don’t realize how dangerous they can be, at the same time many people who have taken drugs argue that some drugs with a proper dosage can open up your brain and help you with many different things such as; depression, anxiety, lack of confidence, etc. Some people took it to extremes and said that particular drugs can make you understand the meaning of life. I think people should read more and learn more about the dangers and effects of drugs especially if they’re thinking about using them. There are many things we can do to help people with addiction, or who’ve been through drug abuse, and we should do everything in our power to do so.